For decades, if a dentist wanted a strong and durable filling, he or she would choose amalgam (silver) material. But the days are long gone when amalgam was our only choice for creating a durable filling.
Today, with the focus on cosmetic dentistry at our Harleysville, PA dental office, we choose only tooth-colored composite fillings. Tooth-colored fillings offer a number of advantages over older amalgam fillings:
- No damage to your smile – Unlike amalgam fillings that leave an unsightly “black mark” in your mouth, composite fillings blend in beautifully with your smile.
- Improved esthetics – Tooth-colored fillings can be customized to match the natural shade of your teeth, so the repair blends seamlessly with your smile. The composite is also easier material to work with, which makes it possible for our dentist to shape the filling to fit the contours of your tooth for an invisible repair!
- Better long-term outcomes – Composite filling material is bonded to the surfaces of your natural tooth, forming a strong filling. Amalgam, on the other hand, does not bond to the structure of your natural teeth. Since it doesn’t form a bond with your natural tooth, amalgam expands and contracts at a different rate than the tooth structure. This creates areas in the tooth where bacteria can collect and eventually cause more decay.
- Better for your oral health – Placing a composite filling is far more conservative than placing silver fillings. Since a tooth-colored filling can be bonded directly onto your natural tooth, we only need to remove the damaged portion of your tooth structure and we can preserve more healthy tooth structure.
- No worries about mercury – Silver fillings are a combination, or an “amalgam,” of several metals, including mercury. Some research suggests that, over time, mercury vapors may be released from the filling. This creates a legitimate concern for patients over the safety of amalgam. Tooth-colored fillings are made of a plastic resin so you don’t need to have any concerns about your safety.
Please Call to Learn More
We love practicing cosmetic dentistry at our Harleysville, PA dental office because it gives us so many opportunities to improve your appearance. If you would like to learn more about the esthetic dental services we offer, please give us a call!