5 Steps for Good Self Care after Oral Surgery
We know how difficult it can be to hear that you need oral surgery. At our Harleysville, PA dental office, we’re sensitive to your concerns, and our supportive team will do everything to make sure your procedure as comfortable and efficient as possible.
After surgery, it is important to follow certain guidelines to protect the surgery site and promote healing. Here are some tips we usually offer to our patients before they leave our office:
- Take it easy on the day of surgery. When you nap or go to sleep the first night, use an extra pillow to limit swelling and prevent excess bleeding.
- Keep yourself comfortable. Take over-the-counter or prescription pain meds as directed, starting immediately after surgery. Apply cold packs on and off for 15 minutes to reduce any swelling.
- Clean your mouth thoroughly but gently after each meal beginning the day after surgery. Make a mixture of one-half teaspoon salt to one cup of warm water, and rinse four times a day or as directed until healing is complete.
- You may not feel much like eating anyway, so stick to a liquid or soft diet for the first day or two. Choose foods high in Vitamins A and C because they promote healing.
- Avoid smoking and using a straw. The sucking motion can dislodge the clot that forms as part of the healing process.
Follow Up Appointment
Oral surgery can be challenging, and we will support you before, during, and after your procedure. As part of your oral surgery follow-up, a member of our Harleysville, PA dental team will contact you later that day to check in and see how you are doing.
If at any time you have questions or concerns, please don’t delay – call our office right away. You can reach us during the business day, and if it’s after hours, you can contact us at (215) 256-8285.